Sunday, September 26, 2010

Proverbs 17:5

"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker. Whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished."

Its so uncomfortable to think about the ways we carry this verse out. Every time I read it, it hits me like a lightning bolt.

I think the first part not only applies to the poor, but to everyone...God values people above all things, and when we trash talk them, we are devaluing his masterpieces. I feel guilty when I smack talk Salvador Dali's paintings..but some how, I can let pleasantries slip out of my mouth without giving a second thought. Every time I read this verse I feel convicted to do something about my nasty habit of talking about others.

The second half is even more uncomfortable. Every once in a while, each of us are happy to see the arrogant snob fail miserably, or whats-his-face act like a dork in public. Its sad, how we can take joy in someone's misfortune, but its a fact of life...it happens.

I don't know, my point is that this week, it is my goal to be more mindful and loving about how I react to, talk about and think of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment